I altered a few of Maia's clothes the other day. The two shirts were plain cream-colored knit shirts, both with stains on the front. Why do I continue to buy white?! You'd think I would learn my lesson by now. Although I do know why I bought these. They were $1.75 each on clearance and I'm a sucker for a good deal.
But anyway, I sewed on someÂ colorful fabric in fun designs to cover the stains, using pellon to adhere the fabric first. The chicken shirt is an idea I copied from the Mini Boden catalog. The other shirt had stains on the sleeves as well, so I cut them off and hemmed them to make a short-sleeve shirt. For the flower shirt, I used the same fabric I used for sewingÂ the bean bags.
The jeans had a hole in the knee, so I patched it with a couple of hearts.
The chicken shirt is my favorite. Here's a detail of miss chicken's head. She reminds me of the funky chickens available in the Gardeners Supply Company catalog. I'm not a yard art person, but I could make an exception for a couple of funky chickens! I'mÂ even starting to think about real chickens (and fresh eggs!), butÂ we live on a quarter acre lot inÂ town, so I don't know howÂ realistic that is.Â
I also turned a couple ofÂ Maia's old pants into summer shorts by cutting off the legs and hemming them.Â This allowed me to make some long shorts for her, rather than the short shorts that seem to be the only kind you can buy forÂ little girls. We do a lot of gardening and hiking in the summer and long shorts just seem more practical to me.
Now I need to alter one of my shirts since I'mÂ feelingÂ so industrious right now. And make curtains and pillows and maybe also some dress-up clothes for Maia. So many things I want to do now that I have the sewing machine out again...