Yes, it's another melted bead suncatcher!
But doesn't the Jack-O-Lantern idea work well in the embroidery hoop frame?
And as a suncatcher? It really looks great with the sun shining through it!!
When you're ready to start your Halloween crafting and decorating, give this a try! All you need is a wooden embroidery hoop and some fall-colored translucent pony beads.
The suncatcher is easy to make. If you're looking for step-by-step instructions, see my recent post on making melted bead suncatchers in embroidery hoop frames.
The kids used a 9" embroidery hoop for this one, but you could use any size and the smaller ones would definitely be quicker to make. I think a few Jack-O-Lantern suncatchers in various sizes would make a super cool Halloween window!
For the pony beads, they used grays and blacks for the eyes, nose, and mouth and an assortment of oranges and yellows for the pumpkin. Mostly translucent but a few opaque ones as well.
Our friend Mercy started the Jack-O-Lantern idea, with some help from Maia and Daphne, working until we ran out of oranges and yellows.
Later (after I replenished our pony bead supply), Maia and Daphne finished adding the beads.
They were careful about filling all the spaces (I told them it might pull away from the frame if they didn't).
I melted it on the gas grill outside...
...let it cool, then peeled off the aluminum foil.
And hung the suncatcher up to the light!! I LOVE how it looks!
We looped a string of black pony beads at the top of the suncatcher and hung it in the window.
My kids get so excited about Halloween. They have already started talking about carving Jack-O-Lanterns (Maia grew her own pumpkin this year), trick-or-treating, and costumes. Are your kids like this? We've been through countless costume changes already and it's barely September!
If you're looking for more melted bead suncatcher ideas, here are my melted bead suncatcher posts so far:
- Making Melted Bead Suncatchers (Basic info for getting started)
- A Melted Bead Suncatcher Mobile (And how to make shapes)
- A Melted Bead Suncatcher Spiral (The beginning of our freeform experimentation)
- More Melted Bead Suncatchers :: Free Form Experiments
- Melted Bead Suncatchers :: Beautiful Free Form Hearts
- Melted Bead Stained Glass in Frames -- Mondrian Style!
- Melted Bead Suncatcher in an Embroidery Hoop Frame
- A Melted Bead Jack-O-Lantern Suncatcher
- Melted Bead Words
- Melted Bead Fairy Wands
- Melted Bead Suncatchers 7+ NEW Ways (Includes ornaments, die-cut wood frames, spiral mobiles, and shapes within suncatchers)