Cooking with Kids is wonderfully fun and rewarding whether you bake dessert, whip up a fun snack, or collaborate on dinner. Most young children LOVE to measure and mix, pour and decorate.
Yes, it can be messy sometimes and the finished item may not always look quite as it would if you had cooked it yourself, but you are building memories alongside skills. And that is always worth it.
Here are more than 35 ideas and recipes for cooking with kids. Most of the following posts include recipes, some include links to the recipes we used, and a few are more about cooking with kids than the actual recipe. (And a few are just recipes without the cooking-with-kids element.)
Kid's Cookbooks & Aprons
- Pretend Soup :: A Great Cookbook for Young Kids
- Kids' Kitchen Recipe Cards by Barefoot Books
- A Child's Apron (and link to our favorite tutorial)
Baking Bread with Kids
- Making the Best Ever Soft Pretzels!
- Pretzel Hearts
- Whole Wheat Bread Recipe :: Grandma's Granary Bread
Baking Desserts with Kids
- Rainforest Cookies
- Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
- Cinnamon Twists :: A Variation on Our Favorite Doughnuts
- Daphne Made Her Own Birthday Cake, Too!
- A Rainbow Bundt Cake to Celebrate
- Chocolate-Pretzel Christmas Trees :: A Holiday Treat Kids Can Make
- Cherry Hand Pies :: Heart Shaped for Valentine's Day (or Any Day!)
- An Artful Spring Nest Cake with Ice Cream Eggs
Decorating Cookies & Cakes with Kids
- My Favorite Granola Recipe
- Raspberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Popover Recipe from Pretend Soup Kids Cookbook
- Bear Pancakes
- The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- Heart Pancakes with Sprinkles :: A Valentine's Day Breakfast Idea
No-Cook Snacks for Kids